Downloading and using ebooks
- Downloading ebooks
- How much can I print and copy from an ebook?
- How do I see the ebooks I have on loan, or a history of ebooks I have viewed?
Many Library ebooks can be "borrowed" or downloaded to your mobile device, tablet or computer for a specified period of time. Single chapters or limited page ranges can often be downloaded as a PDF and saved permanently. Note:
- loan periods vary - please check the interface before downloading
- some ebooks have limited simultaneous downloads (e.g. only one person can download at a time).
Most ebooks can be read with the following software and an Adobe ID.
On your computer:
- install Adobe Digital Editions
- authorise Adobe Digital Editions with your Adobe ID
- if needed, associate .acsm files with Adobe Digital Editions.
On your mobile/tablet device:
- download the Bluefire Reader app via Google Play or the App Store
- authorise the Bluefire app with your Adobe ID.
Authorising your computer, smartphone, tablet or e-reader with the same Adobe ID provides the flexibility to transfer ebooks between devices.
How much can I print and copy from an ebook?
Restrictions on printing and copying vary by ebook publisher and many require you to download first, so always check the interface for details.
Single chapters or limited page ranges can often be saved and printed as a PDF.
You can also check how much you've printed and copied, and when the ebook loan will expire:
- Bluefire Reader - printing ebooks is not available
- Adobe Digital Editions - right-click the ebook on your Bookshelf and select "Item Info".
How do I see the ebooks I have on loan, or a history of ebooks I have viewed?
- ProQuest Ebook Central - your currently loaned and recently viewed ebooks from the Library's largest database of borrowable ebooks.
- EBSCOhost - select Sign In, then My Checkouts appears in the top banner
- O'Reilly Safari Books Online
- BorrowBox - select My Account
- Axis 360 - select My Stuff
- CCH ePlatform (tax and law ebooks)
- OverDrive fiction collection - select the SIGN IN option on the left.