Newspapers and news media
Find the right databases to research Australian and international news.
Library Search is not recommended for finding news and current affairs as the latest articles aren't available and it primarily contains US newspapers.
- Australian news
- International news
Australian Public Affairs Fulltext (APAFT) is a good source of opinion pieces, editorials and essays related to current issues in Australian political, economic, cultural and social affairs. As many of these articles are written by academics and policy experts in their area they are typically of higher quality than editorials and opinion pieces published in general newspapers.
Major daily Australian newspapers are available in the newspaper reading area of all branch libraries. The print edition of newspapers are kept between one week and three months. Weekend editions are not delivered to the Library until Monday.
(V Block Level 4)
(R Block Level 2)
(C Block Level 5)
|The Australian Financial Review||Yes||Yes|
|The Sydney Morning Herald||Yes||Yes|
|Koori Mail (fortnightly)||Yes||Yes|
Use these databases to find older news articles with historical significance:
- Trove: Digitised newspapers and more
Full-page scans of thousands of Australian newspapers going back to the 1800s. Most newspapers available in fulltext are older, our-of-copyright editions. However some newer content up to the mid 2000's is available.
TV news and current affairs
Sample programmes from Informit EduTV and TV News:
- Quick search via ProQuest news databases - do a broad search of international and Australian news sources including newspapers and news wires.
- Precision search using Factiva - searches thousands of local and international newspapers, trade journals and magazines. Detailed searching by company, industry, or region is possible. For example, to find Canadian articles from the last six months about Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau:
- search for Justin Trudeau
- change the "Date" drop-down to In the last 6 months
- in "Region" browse to North America and select Canada
- Full-page scans via UKPressOnline - for full-colour articles with images and advertisements
Was this page helpful?
We want to make the How to find pages better, your feedback is valuable to us!