Place holds and intercampus requests
By borrowing and requesting library resources you accept and agree to comply with the Library Borrowing Conditions.
Eligible users can place a hold on an item so that it is reserved for them. Holds can be placed on items that are:
- on loan to another borrower (this will recall the item)
- available at another branch library
- available on the shelf at your preferred branch library.
- How to place a hold or intercampus request
- How to request from the Library Store
- Hold processing times
- Hold shelf locations
How to place a hold or intercampus request
- Find the item you want in Library Search, then click the "Place hold" button.
- Select the desired pickup location and submit. Eligible students will also see a home address option to request a postal loan.
- Use My Library to check the progress of your hold request and cancel any holds you no longer require.
- You will receive an email notification when the item is ready to collect from the hold shelf in the branch library where you requested pickup. The item will be held for you for five days. Those using the postal loan option will be notified by email when the item has been loaned and posted out to you.
How to request from the Library Store
QUT Library Store is a collection of less frequently used materials, most of which can be accessed by QUT staff and students by placing a hold. Some items in the Library Store (theses, dissertations etc.) cannot be requested this way - ask us about accessing these.
Registered alumni and community borrowers can request items held in store, but will need to ask us to place the request.
Hold processing times
For items that are:
- on the shelf in the library - they are usually ready within two days, but can take longer if the item gets borrowed before library staff can collect it for you.
- on loan to another borrower - you will be added to a queue for when the item is returned, noting that there may be hold requests by other borrowers ahead of you. Check My Library to track progress.
- in very high demand - on occasion holds may be cancelled by the Library so the item can be added to the course reserve collection. You will be notified by email in this situation.
You will be notified by email when the item is available for you to pickup from the library hold shelf (or has been sent via post for eligible borrowers).
Hold shelf locations
When a hold is ready for you to pickup, the item is placed on a self-serve hold shelf (usually within the course reserve room). Holds are arranged alphabetically by surname (family name), or by full name if you have no family name.
- Gardens Point Library Level 4, V Block - in room 413 Course Reserve and Holds - if exiting from the lift turn left; if using the stairs turn right.
- Kelvin Grove Library Level 2, R Block - in the printer area (continue past the main staircase on the entry level).
- Law Library Level 5, C Block (Gardens Point campus) - next to the Library Helpdesk.
Items are held for five days on the hold shelf and will be automatically cancelled if they are not picked up by the hold expiry date.