Library Borrowing Conditions
By borrowing library resources, a borrower is taken to have accepted and agreed to comply with these conditions, as per University policy MOPP F/1.8 Library resources and borrowing conditions.
- Loan periods and request limits
- Imposition of penalties
- Appeals against penalties
A current library card (QUT ID card or community/alumni borrower membership card) is required in order to borrow.
- Your library card can only be used by you, the registered borrower.
- You are responsible for all transactions involving the use of your library card.
- You will receive library notifications via email - you can also check My Loans and holds.
Should another borrower place a hold on an item you have borrowed, the current loan period will reduce and the item will be recalled. An email advising the new due date will be sent to you.
- You are guaranteed a minimum 7 day loan.
- Loans to External students are guaranteed for 21 days.
- Loans of Curriculum items to students on Practicum retain the full loan length.
Renewing your loans
Most items are renewed automatically (up to 5 renewals), however some items (e.g. course reserve items and Document Delivery items) cannot be renewed. Items will be automatically renewed as long as the item:
- hasn't been requested by another borrower
- hasn't already been automatically renewed 5 times.
- You must return all items, in good condition, by the due date.
- Do not leave items on loan to you inside the library.
Notices are sent to your email address as follows:
- Standard items
- Courtesy notice is sent 1 day before the item is due.
- First overdue notice is sent at 1 day overdue.
- Final overdue notice is sent at 7 days overdue.
- Replacement cost notice (Lost Loan Letter) is sent at 14 days overdue (Reciprocal and School student member parent institutions are also notified at this time).
- Course reserve and AV items
- First overdue notice is sent at 1 day overdue.
- Final overdue notice is sent at 2 days overdue.
- Replacement cost notice (Lost Loan Letter) is sent at 3 days overdue.
Loan periods and request limits
|QUT students and staff; QUT Visitors; and Gold Card members||Alumni borrowers||Community borrowers|
|Maximum QUT items||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Standard items||60 days
|Course reserve items||2 hours||Not available||Not available|
|Games equipment||2 hours
|Not available||Not available|
|Audiovisual equipment||1 day||Not available||Not available|
|Document delivery (Interlibrary loans)||Loan period is determined by supplying library and loans are non renewable||Not available||Not available|
|Holds||Unlimited||Not available (except for requesting items from the Library Store)||Not available (except for requesting items from the Library Store)|
|Scan requests||Unlimited (within copyright limits)||Not available||Not available|
Imposition of penalties
Penalties are imposed as follows.
- A replacement cost (outlined in the table below) is imposed if you:
- fail to return an item
- return an item damaged.
- Your library borrowing privileges (including pick-up/delivery of requested items) are suspended automatically if you:
- have outstanding replacement costs
- fail to return recalled items that are more than one day overdue
- fail to return items borrowed from other university libraries.
- For QUT students, an academic sanction will be applied if you:
- fail to return items that are more than 28 days overdue
- fail to return items borrowed from other university libraries as part of the ULANZ borrowing scheme.
- Continued non-payment or non-return of materials may result in a QUT invoice being raised for the replacement cost and may lead to possible debt recovery action.
The replacement cost is waived if you return the item, except for document delivery items. QUT Library accepts online payments only via QUTPay. To pay your penalty simply login to My loans and holds and click on the QUTPay link in the "Penalties" tab. Once a replacement cost is paid, the payment is non-refundable.
Your borrowing privileges are reinstated when you have no:
- overdue items
- outstanding replacement costs.
Please notify library staff as soon as possible if you have lost or damaged a library resource. If there are genuine extenuating circumstances, let library staff know and they will try to help.
|Item type||Replacement cost per item (non-refundable)|
|Audiovisual items / gaming equipment||Full replacement cost|
|Document delivery items||Replacement cost set by lending institution|
Appeals against penalties
You may appeal against the imposition of a penalty if you can provide a reasonable explanation of exceptional circumstances to the Compliance Officer.
If you are not satisfied with the ruling of the Compliance Officer, then an appeal in writing against the imposition of a penalty can be provided to the Library Review Officer. The decision of the Library Review Officer will be final.
All appeals should be submitted and finalised within the calendar year.