Changes to copyright in 2017
These information sheets explain recent changes to the Copyright Act 1968:
- Disability copying (PDF, 221KB)
- Streamlined statutory licence (PDF, 162KB)
- Library provisions (PDF, 156KB)
- Duration of copyright for unpublished and orphan works (PDF, 136KB)
You may also find the presentation slides from Library Branch and Section visits (PDF, 1MB) helpful to understanding the changes.
The changes come into effect on 22 December 2017, except for changes relating to the 'duration of copyright for unpublished and orphan works', which come into effect in January 2019.
The Copyright Regulations have been amended and came into effect on 22 December 2018. Changes include
- a more flexible way for universities to display copyright warning notices near copying machines in libraries
- universities will be permitted to circumvent a technological protection measure (TPM) for:
- relying on the statutory educational licence
- disability copying. This provision will come into effect on 1 April 2018.
Information in the Copyright Guide has been updated to reflect the changes.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.